The Christian Science Center in Boston is a multi-acre campus of buildings centered on a large reflecting pool spanning approximately 1000’ in length. The church, known now as the Original Edifice, was the first building erected on the site. The year was 1887.
Over time, it came to house Aeolian-Skinner’s c:1950, opus 1202. In 1997, Foley-Baker was honored to receive the contract to remove and recondition this 45 rank organ. The console shell is that of the original Ferrand and Votey organ. Work included total releathering and a thorough cleaning of the instrument and chambers. The SSL electronic relay system installed in 1988 was upgraded with new SSL equipment.
This instrument can also be played from the console of Opus 1203, Aeolian-Skinner’s magnum opus located in the c:1904 “Extension” Church that abuts the Original Edifice.